Donate to IRTF
Please consider donating to the InterReligious Task Force on Central America as part of your stand for human rights and peace. Your deep commitment to human rights has kept us faithful to our mission of solidarity. For over a quarter of a century, people like you have helped make IRTF a leading grassroots organization in the Latin America solidarity movement: educating, advocating and organizing to protect and advance basic human rights for the people of Central America, Colombia, and southern Mexico. Since 1981, IRTF has mobilized northern Ohioans and others across the country to change U.S. policies, corporate actions, and consumer behaviors that undermine our vision of nonviolent social change.
Since our founding, IRTF’s mission has been to
- advocate for structural changes to promote human rights, self-determination, economic justice and peace
- call for demilitarization of U.S. relations with Central America and the region
- build bridges of solidarity with the most oppressed peoples of the region
- follow our various convictions, commitments, and faith teachings that call us to promote justice and peace
Here are some of the programs you’ve helped us with so far in 2008:
- Our Annual Social Justice Teach-In which invigorated 150 young adults and teachers from 15 area high schools and colleges to work for human rights through workshops, discussions, planning sessions, and more.
- Hosting Dora Acera, a flower worker union leader from Colombia, to tell about her experiences organizing against exploitive conditions on flower plantations and to mobilize NE Ohioans to pressure Dole Fresh Flowers to negotiate a fair contract with her union.
- The display of art and poetry from students in Colombia at the Colombia Art and Poetry Exhibit, expressing their desires for peace in their war-torn nation.
- The Rapid Response Network protests of six urgent human rights cases each month—demanding protection against death threats, harassment, torture and assassination.
- Protesting and leafleting on Public Square on the Day of Action for Peace in Colombia.
- Hosting the Chiapas Media Project, an indigenous media movement, at area colleges and high schools.
- Educating the public about Fair Trade at 2 events each month around the community.
- The annual World Fair Trade Fashion Show, in which over 50 high school students participated and over 150 attended.
Investing in human rights by donating to us is one way to show our government and world that we will not stand for violence, death, and destruction and that you believe in peace, justice, and dignity for all.
Three-quarters of our support comes from individuals like you and we ask you to help us continue providing education, awareness and empowerment to fight the injustices still affecting far too many of our sisters and brothers in Central America and Colombia. Stand up for what you believe in by donating to the InterReligious Task Force on Central America!
For justice and peace throughout the hemisphere,
|Paula A. Miller
|Brian Stefan Szittai
Contributions to IRTF, a 501(c)(3) tax exempt organization, are fully tax deductible as permitted by law.